Monday, January 2, 2012

IT professional opted for different job to stay near home - Birmingham Business Journal:

gault-rickettsias.blogspot.com
“I looked at the program at the and the one at he said. “I chose Sullivan because of the smallee classes and the accessibility to the I felt it was the most up to date with what is goin on in thereal world,” Henderson said abour the factors influencing his decision. For a while, Henderson, 39, lived in that state of limbo regardingt where he would live and work to gain experience in his newly selected profession. It was especially since he spent two years after leaving the Navy sendingg out resumes to get his foot in the door whileeattending Sullivan, Henderson said.
“Everyone wants someonr with one, two, or five yearws experience in information technology,” he Henderson said he was willing to movealmosyt anywhere, especially someplace Eventually, Henderson was offered a job in informationb technology with the U.S. Army Humanm Resources Command in Va. The Army is in the process of consolidatin its command atFort Knox, so he would be transferrerd back to Kentucky in 2011. “The Army didn’gt want to pay for my move to Arlington but woulfd have paid for my move back to he said.
Henderson thoughtg about it but decided that because he alread y owned a home here andhis father, who had a strokew recently, needed care, he would prefer to stay where he was. “o wanted to get a job in civil service,” he “After my military career, I knew that civill service followed thesame rules, and I couldd move around as job opportunities appeared.” Perseverance paid off. In Henderson was offered the jobhe wanted. He acceptef a position at Fort Knox withthe U.S. Army Contractint Agency, where he now worke as contract administrator forMission & Installation Contracting Command.
“My division managed the signed contracts between military and civilian he said. “Any supplies, services or advertising that the Army cannoft get through the military have to be providef bycivilian vendors.” Although not the IT job he was lookinbg for, Henderson said he was delighte with his job and the people he works for and with. And sincse his time in the Navy was spengtin contracting, budget and he brings that knowledge with him. “Actually my IT degrewe turned out to be to my advantagse in gettingthe job,” he “When commands need to purchase computer equipment, I will be able to help them with what they My degree was one of my selling points.
” Hendersonm will begin courses in January to earn a master’zs degree in management and dispute resolutions at Sulliva n University. Being an oldefr student — he was the oldest in his classa — made for a good he said. He learned from the younger and they learnedfrom him. “Many of the students I graduated with wanted to start theirown business,” he “Some wanted a better payintg job. A lot of them looked out of statse but ended upstaying here.” Louisville has a lot to Henderson said, speaking from the experience of having traveled with the Navy.
“I have liveed in Atlanta, and thered are way too many people therwe and the trafficis terrible,” he “It is not near as congested here. And the people here are more hospitabls than they are in somebigger cities.” Henderson has a one-yeare probation period with his new job, and after that, who knows where his experiencee and knowledge will take him. “I reallt like the job,” he said. “It is a good and there are a lot ofpromotiohn opportunities. People senior to me will be readh to retire in two to 10 and civil service hiresfrom within. I luckefd out.

No comments:

Post a Comment